Monday 4 January 2010

CIO Connect Winter 2009 magazine

And a happy new decade to you, and all that malarky.

Just before 2009 curled up in its hibernaculum and left us all ensconced in snow, CIO Connect magazine went to press. It's a job I've had pretty much since I edged out on my own as a nervous yet optimistic newbie freelancer, and it's helped my develop my style as much as I've developed the magazine.

One thing that struck me as I saved these pages for the blog is how vital good photography is for a professional-looking magazine. The design can be as fancy-pants as you like but if your images are small, fuzzy, low-res and dark you may as well be the village newsletter. I've met with a few people considering setting up magazines and it seems to be something that, on the whole, they don't regard as important, and resent spending money on.

This is a mistake, and a fundamental one. I may be shooting myself in the foot here, but my opinion is that for the most part, bad photography will let your publication down worse than bad design. Sure, someone with no concept of design will struggle to maximise the impact of good photography, and a good designer will take the same photography and make it sing from the rooftops, but it's very difficult to do anything at all with bad photography.

This, heavens be praised, is something that the people at CIO Connect appreciate, and always have done. They tend to use Martin Burton, who is just bloody ace, and a consummate professional to boot. His skill makes it easier for me to have fun with the layout and means the magazine is a whole lot more pleasurable to work on.










No comments: